Technology has facilitated the emergence of fintech as a major industry – fundamentally changing virtually every aspect of the financial services landscape. Kilpatrick Townsend’s Fintech Practice features a team of attorneys with diverse backgrounds and proven experience helping fintech and traditional businesses navigate this rapidly evolving industry. We represent businesses at every stage of development, including startups, emerging growth companies, mature public companies, private equity and venture investors, banks and other financial institutions in a wide range of matters – from regulatory advice to corporate transactions, commercial litigation, and intellectual property protection and litigation. The unique make-up of our practice has several advantages, including the ability to draw on a deep bench of technical expertise related to payment systems and marketplace lending and experience working with leading fintech companies.
Our fintech clients include:
- Payment processors
- Credit card issuers
- Mobile payment providers
- Credit reporting and monitoring agencies
- Peer-to-peer lending services
- Online lending platforms
- A broad range of financial institutions, including money-center banks, regional and community banks, thrifts and credit unions
- E-Commerce and online retailers
- Restaurant, hotels, travel and hospitality companies
- Entertainment and online gaming companies
Examples of recent engagements include:
- Multiple acquisitions of fintech companies for one of the nation’s leading credit bureaus.
- Patent procurement and counseling for major payment processors, banks and credit card issuers.
- International outsourcing transactions for numerous financial institutions.
- Regulatory and antitrust counseling in connection with Federal Trade Commission (FTC) enforcement action.
- Litigation of patent disputes regarding software and methods for electronic transfer of funds.
- Sale by a financial institution of its online student loan refinance business and entry into a loan program agreement.
- Negotiation of third-party arrangements for an online lender.
- Sale of a loan pool originated by an online lender.
Our practice area focus includes:
Regulatory advice and compliance work involving, among other agencies:
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) enforcement and investigations
- Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Federal Reserve Board
- State banking regulators
- US Department of Labor (DOL)
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) antitrust enforcement
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) offerings and related filings
- DOJ litigation and investigations
Advice and Counseling and Litigation or Arbitration on a variety of issues, including:
- Chartering of financial institutions and state licensing
- Consumer protection laws
- Insurance recovery
- Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) as well as state credit reporting laws
- Patent and trademark procurement, counseling, enforcement and strategy
- Data and cybersecurity compliance and remediation
- Protection of trade secrets
- Corporate, M&A and securities advice
For more information on our fintech practice and capabilities, please contact one of our team leaders:
• Gary Bronstein – Corporate, transactional and regulatory issues
• Patrick Jewik – Intellectual property issues
• Maureen Sheehy – Litigation and arbitration issues
For general questions or additional information, please contact: email@example.com.